Nightdive Studios and Kasier’s KEX Engine, a match made in heaven that made many-a-classics back to life is at it once again. This time, Nintendo 64 cult classic Shadowman is getting the remaster treatment. The 1999 action-adventure game developed by Acclaim will be remastered and released on PC, PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch next year.
Shadow Man is a nonlinear third-person action/adventure game inspired by the Valiant Comics title of the same name. Shadow Man is the brave and powerful supernatural hero who protects humanity from the sinister demons that lurk in the Deadside and spill into our world. The Shadow Man video game was originally developed by Acclaim Studios and published for the PC, PlayStation, Nintendo 64, and Dreamcast console in 1999. Considered a “lost classic” for years, the PC version of the game was published again in its original form by Nightdive Studios in 2014.
Valiant Entertainment is home to the third-largest connected universe in comics, behind Marvel and DC, with over 2,000 characters. Since DMG Entertainment’s acquisition of Valiant in late 2018, the global media and entertainment company has proven its ambitious plans to grow its presence in Hollywood, making its first foray into theaters with “Bloodshot”, starring Vin Diesel, opening #1 worldwide this past weekend.
“As part of our continued growth into the video game industry, we’re happy to bring Valiant fans this immensely popular Shadow Man character as the next title we release,” said Dan Mintz, Chairman and CEO of Valiant Entertainment. “Using this platform allows the Valiant fans to experience and explore the universe creatively.”
Now the title is being updated using Nightdive’s proprietary KEX engine which has been used to restore classic video games across all digital platforms including System Shock: Enhanced Edition, Turok, Turok 2: Seeds of Evil, Blood: Fresh Supply, and Forsaken Remastered.
Stephen Kick, CEO at Nightdive Studios explained: “Our goal with the remaster is to give today’s generation of gamers all the features that they expect from a modern title while preserving the qualities that made Valiant’s iconic character and the original Shadow Man game such memorable classics to begin with.”
Shadowman will also have a brand-new comic book series this year! From master of horror Cullen Bunn (Venom) and bone-chilling artist Jon Davis-Hunt (The Wildstorm), SHADOWMAN #1 will release on May 20th. Fans can contact their local comic shop to preorder a copy now.
The Remastered version adds a host of features in addition to console support:
* 4K widescreen display
* Dynamic shadow mapping
* Dynamic per-pixel lighting
* Antialiasing, and other post-process effects
* Higher density of particle effects
* Refined art, audio, and assets
* Refined gameplay experience
* Reintroduction of missing content cut from the original game
* Xbox, PS4, Controller Pro support
* HDR Rendering
- Stalk Criminals Across Two Worlds – Explore crime scenes in Louisiana Swamplands, a New York Tenement, a Teaxas Prison, the Asylum, and many other localse.
- Send Evil Back to Darkness – Go in armed with high-caliber guns or soul-destroying voodoo power.
- Unravel the Mysteries of Deadside – Gather sinister voodoo artifacts in order to solve puzzles.
- Live the Nightmare – Over 40 immersive cutscenes and hours of in-game speech.