Raw Fury and developer Eggnut are teaming up once more for Tails: The Backbone Preludes, a prequel to the hit narrative adventure Backbone. Set in the same post-noir dystopian vision of Vancouver, Tails introduces a new series of intertwined stories surrounding four anthropomorphic animals, with a wealth of new gameplay elements, interactions, puzzles, and choices that will ripple throughout the narrative. Tails will release on Steam in 2023.
Tails: The Backbone Preludes is a post-noir narrative adventure with branching choices focused on an intertwined series of vignettes about change, circumstance, and consequence. Guide four different characters through formative moments in their lives, all set to the backdrop of a gorgeously pixelized dystopian Vancouver inhabited by anthropomorphic animals.
- A powerful narrative of growth and change – Experience key moments in the lives of the main cast, set them on the path of self-realization or even destruction, and experience the growing pains of a world on the cusp of irreversible change.
- Four stories, united by a common future – Explore the intricate backstories of Backbone alums Howard, Clarissa, and Renee, and meet Eli, the scientist who made a shocking discovery that will change the world.
- Built for replayability – A brand-new branching tree interface allows you to track your choices, not only as you play each story, but every time you return for another run.
- Play your way – Return to the world of dystopian Vancouver to learn more about your favorite characters, or start at the beginning – you can play Backbone and Tails in either order.
- Gorgeous visuals – In the beloved pixel art style, players can revisit iconic locations such as Gastown, and explore new spaces like high-class homes and cozy college dorm rooms.
- Another banger of a soundtrack – Doom jazz makes a triumphant return in a brand-new original soundtrack by Danshin, perfectly accompanying the themes and characters of each story under a single melodic umbrella.
Tails: The Backbone Preludes is available to wishlist now on Steam, and the game’s first demo is exclusively playable at PAX this weekend. To stay up to date on the game, you can follow the game on Twitter.